Get your UBC degree in biology, biochemistry and molecular biology, ecology, evolution, and conservation biology, microbiology, sustainability, or zoology. Go on to graduate studies or one of the many careers possible in the biological sciences.
The Department of Biology is dedicated to Inclusive Excellence and welcomes all students. Learn More
Science at the crossroads of creativity and ethics
Dr. Robin Young, Assistant Professor of Teaching in the Department of Biology, looks at cell biology through a lens of ethics, diversity and inclusion.
Our graduate programs offer tier-one research-based degrees to students in a collegial, close-knit setting. Our high-calibre graduate students dedicate themselves to bettering our world through research.
How humans and climate change affect our environment
Doctoral student Melanie Dickie’s research explores how these factors combine to influence the natural world
The effect of global climate change on natural and managed ecosystems, emerging infectious diseases, food security, species extinctions — these are all critical current global problems being tackled by our faculty and students.
- The 2023 recipients of the Biology Award for Teaching Excellence in TAs are Brontë Shelton and Jacqueline Barnett-Fraser
- Can intermittent fasting help those who live with Crohn’s disease?
- Call for Canada to braid Indigenous rights with endangered species law
- UBCO research says resistance exercise may help regulate appetite in breast cancer survivors
- Opening doors for international student research
- At the intersection of mathematics and business